Wednesday 4 July 2007

Man of Steel


A balanced view is something we seem to be sadly lacking in these days. The BBC prides itself on its neutrality, but we all know that in reality neutrality means 'consensus politics' or some crap like that.
They're like one of those people who don't engage in a (rational or otherwise) argument with you, but persist in telling you not to raise your voice - if you don't mind. I'm not going to discuss it with you if you start shouting. And then they somehow think they've won the argument, even though they haven't actually made any contribution to the debate whatsoever.
I would much rather have a stand-up row with someone who is saying something than be part of this polite middle England that everyone seems so worried about. So worried that they have to demonise the poor and frightened and pander to the Super Rich. Just in case this Worcester Woman (or whatever) gets upset about all the terrible behaviour and decides to vote Conservative. Where would we all be then? Deary me.
This is one of the reasons why I like the Independent, and why I especially like Mark Steel's weekly column. I can even forgive him for being a Palace fan, because he makes me laugh and is brave enough to talk sense in a national newspaper. Now that's something you don't see very often, isn't it?

No comments: