Tuesday 28 September 2010

Tomorrow Never Knows



Tomorrow Never Knows was playing on the jukebox, but the volume was just too low for the music to be heard properly.  The sign outside said:

THIS AREA IS FOR PAYING CUSTOMERS ONLY. IT IS NOT FOR ANYONE ELSE.

Inside, although she had been across the other side of the bar when I came in, the barmaid suddenly appeared right in front of me.  There were a couple of teeth missing at the front, although she had nice enough hair.  She was wearing a Guinness t shirt.

"What can I get you?"
"Foster's please," I said as she bobbed her head down and picked up a carton of milk with which to make tea.  Next to me, a man wearing a shirt with the legend:

LIFEGUARD

ILFRACOMBE

was playing the poker machine.  He was wearing a dolphin earring.

I shuffled the coins in my hand... Two sixty? Two eighty? Maybe even three quid...

"Two pound please," said the barmaid with her toothless smile.  I smiled back approvingly - a paying customer - and moved towards the outside area.  Two Irishmen were sharing cod and chips out of the paper beneath the umbrella, and the aroma of salt and vinegar filled my nostrils as I passed.  One of the men had very small hands.

Tomorrow Never Knows had finished playing.

No comments: