Friday 25 July 2008

She's a lady, She's got time...



For some reason best left to the recesses of my sub-conscious, I suddenly developed a hankering for some very old Genesis music. It may have had something to do with reading that Peter Gabriel is involved in Wall.E, though I have a feeling that the desire preceded my knowledge of this fact. The song which was reverberating around the inner recesses of my skull was The Musical Box from the album Nursery Cryme. Following on from that (due to musical association) was Supper's Ready from Foxtrot.

I can't really tell you how much I used to love Genesis, and these two albums in particular. Much to my disappointment, I never got to see them while Gabriel (or even Steve Hackett, for that matter) was still with them, but I did get to see Mike Rutherford make a mess of the opening of a song (can't remember which one, but I think it was one off The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway) at the NEC, and was treated to one of Phil Collins and Chester Thompson's drum routines, complete with a tambourine toss into the audience.

Just watching these two amazing clips from Belgian TV in the 70s, I realise that I definitely missed out. That combination of louche Englishness and dorky public schoolboys really has a special charm. Even the cheeky little Cockney himself looks good in these. God bless 'em.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

........................................................................................................................................................................