Sunday 8 March 2009

Once more unto the...

Things don't stand still for long, do they? Apart from statues of course. And those mimes in Covent Garden. I was going to include Oswestry in that rather glib little summary, but thought better of it, as clearly (and depressingly) things do move there, if not necessarily in the right direction.

"What the hell is he talking about?!" I hear the Frank Riches among you moan. Well, in homage to my post a year ago (almost to the day) I thought I would do a catch-up on my work situation.

It is - in a word - drifting.



Yes, that sort of sums it up. I've never encountered such terrible communication as wot I'm seeing from the multitudinous management teams who seem to be involved in the major contract transition that's about to happen where I'm based. Unsurprisingly, but disappointingly, everyone seems to be doing their best to apply more and more coats of Teflon to their hides, merely making sure that they don't get lumbered with anything and can emerge at the far end safe and sound.

It's laughable that so many of the people I've spoken to over the past year and a bit have been babbling on about people being their greatest assets, and how the success of the transfer depends on understanding them, etc., but who are now desperately seeking to avoid any responsibility for the dog's breakfast it has become.

It's a cliche, but definitely true for me as I look ahead, that the only constant is change. The one thing (ahem, to the best of my knowledge) I feel I know (I do realise that I am not alone in this in these turbulent times) is that I will not be doing what I am now after 3 months. There are two or three potential roads ahead (the third is along the lines of Mel Gibson in a leather jerkin, but I won't go into that here) and I am doing my damnedest to try and force events along the road which suits me best.

I'm still holding my nerve, largely amused by the goings-on, and waiting to see how things will pan out. Or pan down at least.

Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck! And if can't beat 'em join 'em and make sure your own ass is covered. You know it makes sense.

Myeral said...

Thanks.

I do know it makes sense, but as you can probably guess, backside protection is a fine art in this place.

Anonymous said...

Break a leg.

Myeral said...

Thanks Frank. You have a heart after all.